Odessa National Medical University a government University situated in the city of Odessa, Ukraine; left a significant mark in the history of medical education of Ukraine and for many years it clinched its existence- the medical faculty of the Novorossiysk University was opened. The medical faculty soon became one of the most prestigious medical faculties in the Russian Empire. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, it became Odessa State Medical University in the independent Ukrainian Republic.
It is also a member of the Bologna process (single European area of higher education) & the only member of MEDICINE (Medical education in Europe). The year 2005 came along with an award to the University for Development of a modern model for teaching the English speaking students, by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine & National Academy of Sciences in Ukraine.
University’s administration is composed of 56 departments, a medical college, preparatory faculty, and post-graduation faculty. Enrollment of approx. 4000 students in the University has now become its tradition, out of which 1200 are international students from about 52 countries of the globe.
ONMU was the first University of Ukraine, which started delivering of lectures in English as a medium of instruction. The University holds strong hands on the fourth level of accreditation enforced by the State Accreditation Committee of Ukraine in 1994. Now it is among the Top WHO recognized Universities of Ukraine. ONMU is famous for its qualitative medical education at an affordable cost.
Departments with some of the courses offered under them are as follows:
Department of Medical and Biological specialization
- Human anatomy
- Cytology and Embryology
- General and clinical pathological physiology
- General and clinical pharmacology
- Clinical immunology, genetics and medical biology
- Simulation medicine
- Medical chemistry
- Forensic medicine
Department of Medical and Prophylactic specialization
- Hygiene and medical ecology
- General and clinical epidemiology and biosafety
- Professional pathology, clinical, laboratory and functional diagnostics
- Psychiatry and narcology
Department of therapeutic specialization
- Infectious diseases
- Propaedeutics of internal diseases and therapy
- Medicine of catastrophes and military medicine
- Family medicine and general practice
Department of surgical specialization
- General and Military Surgery
- ENT diseases
- Radiation Diagnostics, Therapy and Radiation Medicine
- Eye diseases
- Traumatology and orthopedics
- Urology and Nephrology
Department of pediatric specialization
- Propaedeutics of pediatrics
- Pediatrics No. 1,2 & 3 (postgraduate training)
- Infectious diseases of children
Department of dental specialization
- Surgical dentistry
- Orthopedic Dentistry
- General dentistry
- Dentistry of childhood
Department of the pharmaceutical specialization
- Drug technologies
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- General pharmacy
The University campus has six hostels to accommodate students. Rooms are fully-decorated with furniture, beddings and other basic amenities. The campus is totally secured under the surveillance of CCTV cameras. Hostels are surrounded by the green belt for the sports activities, student cafeteria, reading rooms and gyms, etc.
ONMU has one of the oldest and biggest libraries in Ukraine. The brownie for the library is the funds from Medical-Scientific periodical editions (one of the biggest in Ukraine). Funds of the library are exhibited at exhibitions, symposia and scientific conferences of medical workers. It contains about 1 million books, internet hall, electronic journals and e-catalogues and much more facilities.
Modern infrastructure and well-equipped classrooms of the University is among the counting of its advantages. It has separate laboratories for students to have a better practical understanding
The universities also have various societies for experiencing cultural exposure and interact with other students coming from various countries across the globe. There is also a sports and fitness complex for students.
Also, it is a part of many international organizations such as the International Association of Medical Universities, which ensures great employment opportunities for students after the completion of the MBBS program.
- A port city on the Black Sea in Southern Ukraine
- Founded by a decree of the Russian Empress- Catherine, the Great. It was the most important port of trade in the Soviet Union and a Soviet Naval base.
- The climate in Odessa is warm and temperate usually. There is significant rainfall throughout the year in Odessa.
- The economic sectors of the city include shipbuilding, oil refining, chemicals, metalworking, and food processing.
- Odessa is the third most populous city of Ukraine and a major tourism centre, seaport and a transportation hub.
- It is known for its beaches, 19th-century architecture, Ballet Theatres.
- Main attractions of the city are Potemkin Stairs, Odessa National Academic Theatre, Privoz Market, Port of Odessa, etc.